FLAKY PASTRY for Torta
Use it for a folded rustic savory tart (torta). It’s tender and buttery, and very easy to make.
· 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for preparation
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
· 1 large egg, beaten
· 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water
Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl or mound them on a work surface. Work in the butter and egg with a fork until the mixture takes on the look of breadcrumbs. Add cold water if needed to form a soft dough. Form the dough into a disk, pat it with some flour, and wrap it in a damp dishtowel. Chill for at least an hour.
Generously flour a cool surface and roll out a circle of pastry to fit your pie plate. Flip the pastry over the rolling pin into the pie plate. Crimp the edges together to make it pretty. Chill again while you make the filling.
Try these FILLING suggestions, - use your imagination and anything that comes in season to create a perfect torta:
· Roasted asparagus and goat cheese
· Asparagus and ricotta
· Trout fillet with rosemary and thyme
· Roasted artichoke halves and feta
· Any combination of roasted vegetables
· Summer vegetable (use raw vegetables!)
· Leek and goat cheese
· Zucchini and goat cheese
· Honey-roasted onion
· Oven-dried tomatoes, black olives and goat cheese